As first published by ESPN
Santino Ferrucci will return to full-time IndyCar racing next season in A.J. Foyt’s flagship car after two seasons filling in as a substitute driver for other teams.
AJ Foyt Racing said Thursday that Ferrucci will drive the No. 14 Chevrolet, which is fielded out of Foyt’s headquarters in Waller, Texas. Ferrucci recently relocated to Texas.
The team last week hired Indy Lights driver Benjamin Pedersen for its second car, which is fielded out of Indianapolis. Team president Larry Foyt did not assign Pederson a car number, as it remains unclear if Dalton Kellett will return to drive the No. 4 next year.
Ferrucci entered eight IndyCar races over the past two seasons, including once as the emergency replacement for Jack Harvey at Texas Motor Speedway when Harvey suffered a concussion in a crash during practice. He was also the Team Penske standby driver in July at Indianapolis in case Josef Newgarden was not cleared to compete.
“Being a part-time driver over the last two years has been hard for me personally,” the 24-year-old Ferrucci said. “I’m a race car driver and I want to compete. Working with different teams has been exciting, and I’m proud that no matter which car I’ve raced, I’ve always shown speed and consistency.
“I couldn’t be more excited to join AJ Foyt Racing in the 14 Chevy. I can’t wait to make the best of it.”
Read the full article here.